Beef goulash soup with sour cream and pesto
· 30 ml olive oil
· 1 kg beef roast, cut into 4cm cubes (Silverside or Topside)
· 3 onions, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, crushed
· 100g carrots, small cubes
· 30 ml cake flour
· 30 ml smoked paprika
· 2x 410 g cans plum tomatoes
· 1.3 liters beef stock
· 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
· 80 ml basil pesto, to serve
· 250 ml sour cream
1. Heat a heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. When it is hot, add a little olive oil and brown the meat in batches.
2. Add the onions and carrots to the pan and sauté until brown. Add the garlic, then re- turn the meat to the pan.
3. Sprinkle with the flour and paprika.
4. Stir well, and then add the tomatoes and beef stock. Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and cover. Gently simmer for two hours or until the meat is very tender.
5. Add the red peppers and simmer for another 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Serve topped with rocket pesto and sour cream, and sprinkle with a little extra paprika.